A Generic hang-out Forum for Dragons and their friends

Login Register

video game pronoun options

Games that don't have a category yet
mellowsand
Pronouns: she/they

video game pronoun options

Post by mellowsand »

So i was experimenting with the Twine engine and I figured out how to add in custom pronouns
Screenshot 2024-01-01 200435.png
Screenshot 2024-01-01 200435.png (30.54 KiB) Viewed 2698 times
Screenshot 2024-01-01 200518.png
Screenshot 2024-01-01 200518.png (17.34 KiB) Viewed 2698 times
it's not even particularly difficult, i just wished more games gave this option
mel they/she(?) :nonb: :ace: :aro: dms welcome (no spam pls)

Neververy4
Site Admin
Pronouns: He/It/Dragon

Post by Neververy4 »

It really is easy (mostly) to add in pronouns :)

Back in 2017 when I was learning Python3, I tried making a command-line text-based ChooseYourOwnAdventure game. Python3 isn’t the best platform for CYoA games, but I was learning how the language works. More of a proof of conecpt rather than a real program. Anyways, while it failed due to me not being a writer and not having a story, I did have options for He/She/They (I didn’t know much about neopronouns, and never knew it/its was a thing).

Everything went smoothly until I ran into issues with He/She not translating well for They. I tried to write out an example of this right now, but every scenario I though of worked :pensive: I REMEMBER having issues with They/Their not fully working in place for He/His, but alas I’m not able to provide right now

Anyways I had to take my original 3-variable solution (he/him/his) and turn it into . .. I think it was 6 variables, maybe 5, but I had to split him into two groups and his into another two groups so that all the grammar for they/them translated properly
Never S. Jhonsen :demi: :pansex:
Visit my site! { MAIN | FURRY | ART | CODE | PROJECTS }

{ He/Him/Dragon (No they/them) }

mellowsand
Pronouns: she/they

Post by mellowsand »

yeah i had to search up a chart with all the forms and everything
Neververy4 wrote: Everything went smoothly until I ran into issues with He/She not translating well for They. I tried to write out an example of this right now, but every scenario I though of worked :pensive: I REMEMBER having issues with They/Their not fully working in place for He/His, but alas I’m not able to provide right now
that's because each form for they/them is unique while she/her has "her" as the object and possessive adjective. He/him has "his" for both possessive forms (i don't know how to add a table so just look at the wikipedia one i guess).
Neververy4 wrote: Anyways I had to take my original 3-variable solution (he/him/his) and turn it into . .. I think it was 6 variables, maybe 5, but I had to split him into two groups and his into another two groups so that all the grammar for they/them translated properly
sounds a bit like what i just talked about. I ended up using a five element array though
mel they/she(?) :nonb: :ace: :aro: dms welcome (no spam pls)

Neververy4
Site Admin

Post by Neververy4 »

I am going to remember that link next time I try to make a CYOA game :eyes: :eyes:
I would love still to make one, I just need a good story (and a better language :wink: but I already have that)
Thanks for the info tho! :grin: :heart_blue:

Neververy4
Site Admin

Post by Neververy4 »

mellowsand wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 5:27 am(i don't know how to add a table so just look at the wikipedia one i guess).
So I knew that there's a button to add tables here, but I've never messed with it myself, so here's me learning how to put a table in a PHPBB forum :arrow_right:

PERSONNUMBER AND GENDERSUBJECTOBJECTDEPENDENT POSSINDEPENDENT POSSREFLEXIVE
FIRSTSINGULARImemyminemyself
PLURALweusouroursourself
SECONDSINGULARyouyouyouryoursyourself
PLURAL""""yourselves
THIRDMASCULINEhehimhishishimself
Femininesheherherhersherself
Neuter/Inanimateitititsitsitself
Epicenetheythemtheirtheirsthemself
Plural""""themselves

And this is what that above mess looks like:

IgneousCroc
Pronouns: surprise me!

Post by IgneousCroc »

plural you :arrow_right: youse (guyze)
that aside i love the idea of "write your own pronouns here", not only because I Am A Pronoun User, but you BET id write like "pants" or "fart" in there and then lose it everytime any character tried to speak to me.
:aro: this dragon :dr_green: runs on ginger ale :ace: