Welcome to %s forums

A Generic hang-out Forum for Dragons and their friends

Login Register

BIRDS!

Don’t know where to say something? Drop it here! This is the “everything else” section
Bullfinch
Pronouns: they/them

BIRDS!

Post by Bullfinch »

I got to see a lot of cool birds today so i thought it'd be cool if there was a post dedicating to reporting cool birds :cool:

Today I saw a flock of eurasian nuthatches! They're a lot smaller than i initially thought of them as, but even cooler to see moving in person. They glide across branches like they're on a well oiled rail. They're one of the only species in the uk that can walk up AND down the trunk of a tree (treecreepers, which i also saw today, can only walk up trees).
As it's winter i could only hear their contact call, which today i learned sounds like a series of "thrrups".
Decided to draw a fun little diagram ^ i think their feet are so neat
Last edited by Bullfinch on February 25th, 2024, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They/Them

pheelthemoment
Pronouns:

Post by pheelthemoment »

nuthatch!! such a good bird c: love that little drawing!!
BOOF > Image

synthcrow
Pronouns:

Post by synthcrow »

birdbirdbirdbirdbirdbirdbird!!!!!

one bird I really want to see that I've only heard is the eurasian jay. they're good mimics and really shy so they're hard to see or hear most of the time.
this year I haven't seen much out of the ordinary yet. last year there was a pair of ravens that went around the neighbourhood for a few weeks, they rarely get near cities here.
it/its | xie/xer | pfp by crowtaur

CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW

Bullfinch

Post by Bullfinch »

synthcrow wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 3:23 pm birdbirdbirdbirdbirdbirdbird!!!!!

one bird I really want to see that I've only heard is the eurasian jay. they're good mimics and really shy so they're hard to see or hear most of the time.
this year I haven't seen much out of the ordinary yet. last year there was a pair of ravens that went around the neighbourhood for a few weeks, they rarely get near cities here.
oh awesome! they are REALLY elusive birds, ive only seen them around 3 times in my area, but theyre definitely around me based on their calls. before i knew there were jays in my area i thought a couple of macaws were loose in the wood, they sounded that hoarse and scratchy :scared: i've noticed jays have a flight pattern thats different than your usual city bird of that size, so i'd recommend keeping an eye out for their undulating flight, similar to that of a great spotted woodpecker if you're familiar :)

also ravens wow! i'd love to see those near me but im on the wrong side of the coast :pensive:
They/Them

Bullfinch

Post by Bullfinch »

BIRD UPDATE!
I saw one of these guys at work for the first time the other day. They were absolutely jackhammering the grass trying to get worms.
I dont think that blocky beak was made for poking hard ground :pensive:
These guys remind me of my uni city, since tons used to move there every winter.
They/Them

pheelthemoment
Pronouns:

Post by pheelthemoment »

yesss thats such a good bird. chopsticks, shoulder swirl..the oystercatcher has got it all
BOOF > Image

Falcon
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Falcon »

Yay! Bird friends!
:heart_pink: :dr_green: he/him funky dragon himbo dude with did :dr_green: :heart_pink:
art by pheel

synthcrow
Pronouns:

Post by synthcrow »

oh I love those ones! in finnish they're called "sea magpies". seen them stroll about in a park a couple times.
it/its | xie/xer | pfp by crowtaur

CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW

IgneousCroc
Pronouns: surprise me!

Post by IgneousCroc »

I hope its alright if I share some birds here too!!

Benefits of spending entire days at the labs doing Mostly Waiting is that you get to look out the window and see the birds on the grass! 98% of the time is your common Feral Pigeon, which I love to document and try to distinguish to see how the local flock evolves.

But what REALLY REALLY amazed me, was seeing Black Redstarts!

It's reportedly common in the region, but it's still a non-pigeon bird, which classifies it as One Hell of a Rarity on campus xD

I went around the labs calling everyone, all excited, look, look!! EVERYONE!! It's a Black redstart! A Black Redstart!!!

...Turns out no one shared my enthusiasm. Alas.
Sorry for the blurriness, I don't think our window is cleaned since the Proterozoic xD
:aro: this dragon :dr_green: runs on ginger ale :ace:

Bullfinch

Post by Bullfinch »

IgneousCroc wrote: February 26th, 2024, 3:59 pm I hope its alright if I share some birds here too!!

Benefits of spending entire days at the labs doing Mostly Waiting is that you get to look out the window and see the birds on the grass! 98% of the time is your common Feral Pigeon, which I love to document and try to distinguish to see how the local flock evolves.

But what REALLY REALLY amazed me, was seeing Black Redstarts!
WOAH! New bird get!

Thats super cool they look like awesome little guys! Apparently these guys winter in my area but ive never seen them.. and i understand the feeling of telling everyone to look at a bird to little response :pensive:
Figured all the other birds in this thread have little cards so i made our friend the black redstart one ^_^
They/Them