Login Register

Coffee Maker Switch

Share off your PC builds, Keyboards, setups, and other computer projects
Neververy4
Site Admin
Pronouns: He/It/Dragon

Coffee Maker Switch

Post by Neververy4 »

Replaced the switch that died in my coffee maker :dr_neververy4: :cool: :dr_neververy4:
The old switch, after two and a half years, had an internal failure, and the hinge on the red piece broke. I didn’t want to try fixing the cover as this switch touched mains voltage, so I took the safer route and put in a whole new unit

I got this one from DigiKey, an electronics supplier I tend to shop with a lot. The actual part is HERE. I went with a illuminated green, but there were also illuminated Red and Orange ones, as well as a solid black. It wasn’t a PERFECT match; while the size, pinout, and Max amp rating matched, the old switch was rated for 230VAC, whereas my new switch is only 125VAC. Now, my home (United States) uses 120VAC power, so the 125VAC max limit is well within the usability of it. I’m sure the old switch went that high to save on parts costs with the international models; use the same switch different power cable.

Anyways, the coffee maker works now :) The heating pad is off when the switch is off, and both the pad and the neon green bulb turn on when the switch turn on. By spending $5, I saved myself from throwing an otherwise working machine from the landfill AND also saved me from having to pay the $25 price for a new one
Never S. Jhonsen :demi: :pansex:
Visit my site! { MAIN | FURRY | ART | CODE | PROJECTS }

{ He/Him/Dragon (No they/them) }

Graytaloty
Pronouns:

Post by Graytaloty »

Yessss that's so cool. Being able to fix things like this really opens the world in terms of customization.
Sincerely, Verne (she/they/he) Image
P.S. You're doing great <3

Falcon
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Falcon »

that's cool!

you should add some wheels to it next and make it a remote controlled coffee maker X3
:heart_pink: :dr_green: he/him funky dragon himbo dude with did :dr_green: :heart_pink:
art by pheel

synthcrow
Pronouns:

Post by synthcrow »

oh nice!!! repairing stuff is always really nice, and electronics tend to be on the more difficult end
it/its | xie/xer | pfp by crowtaur

CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW

Neververy4
Site Admin

Post by Neververy4 »

Falcon wrote: November 19th, 2023, 12:48 pmyou should add some wheels to it next and make it a remote controlled coffee maker X3
I won't do wheels, but if this green switch breaks then I can try making a remote controlled switch
I hope it doesn't break tho :nervous: That cost me money :suprise:
synthcrow wrote: November 19th, 2023, 4:46 pmoh nice!!! repairing stuff is always really nice, and electronics tend to be on the more difficult end
The hardest part about this repair was making sure I ordered the correct part. Thankfully, I'm very apt on NOT having any smart devices in my home, so when things break I can fix them. Maybe one day I'll show off all the old stuff in my house :) Most of my appliances are from the 50's-80's

synthcrow
Pronouns:

Post by synthcrow »

Neververy4 wrote: November 19th, 2023, 7:17 pm The hardest part about this repair was making sure I ordered the correct part. Thankfully, I'm very apt on NOT having any smart devices in my home, so when things break I can fix them. Maybe one day I'll show off all the old stuff in my house :) Most of my appliances are from the 50's-80's
old electronics do have the tendency to last if well kept, yeah. my repairs tend to be pretty crude though. thinking about getting a soldering iron some day if I find the space, might be useful.

the last time an electronic device of mine broke was a microwave and I'm *not* messing with something with a magnetron though!
it/its | xie/xer | pfp by crowtaur

CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW

Neververy4
Site Admin

Post by Neververy4 »

synthcrow wrote: November 20th, 2023, 3:41 amthinking about getting a soldering iron some day if I find the space, might be useful.
Hit me up when you decide to, I can help you get a good setup for your budget :)
synthcrow wrote: November 20th, 2023, 3:41 amthe last time an electronic device of mine broke was a microwave and I'm *not* messing with something with a magnetron though!
:cringe: :cringe: :cringe: Yeah I don't blame you there. Even /I/ am hesitant on messing with voltages that high. Same with CRT's, although those I have messed with in the past

Neververy4
Site Admin

Post by Neververy4 »

The post I made on Tumblr is getting shared around, so I thought I'd add a little update here :dr_neververy4: :cool: :dr_green:

Coffee maker is still working :) The green switch is a nicer glow than the red one was, and it's still turning the coffee maker on and off 🎉